Welcome to GRAPE
Contact: Giorgiana De Franceschi (e-mail: giorgiana.defranceschiingv.it).
The International Polar Year (IPY) and International Heliophysical Year (IHY) initiatives left an important heritage in terms of data sharing, expertise exchange and increasing awareness of the current scientific capabilities. In particular, the GWSWF SCAR Action Group took advantage of the Interhemispheric Conjugacy Effects in Solar-Terrestrial and Aeronomy Research (ICESTAR) and the Polar Earth Observing Network (POLENET) experiences that lead to creation of working groups on specific themes such as the use of geodetic data to study weather and space weather events. The multidisciplinary approach of IPY is the key in overcoming relevant difficulties, above all, the poor coverage of Antarctica. GRAPE Expert group intend to continue to follow this route, intensifying the efforts to build a robust network of collaborations in order to answer a variety of space weather related needs through ad hoc data sharing and model development.
- Create and maintain distributed networks of specialized GPS/GNSS Ionospheric Scintillation and TEC Monitors particularly at high latitudes.
- Identify and quantify mechanisms that cause scintillation and control interhemispheric differences, asymmetries and commonalities in scintillation occurrence and intensity as a result of the geospace environment conditions.
- Develop ionospheric scintillation climatology, tracking and mitigation models to improve prediction capabilities of space weather.
- Retrieve tropospheric PWV for input to weather forecast models and to develop regional PWV climatology for atmospheric sensing in remote areas.
- Announcement: the XXXIV SCAR Biennial Meetings and SCAR Open Science Conference 2016 will be held in KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA during August 2016. Visit Conference page for more details.
- We are pleased to inform the scientific community that the efforts of GRAPE and the results obtained have been acknowledged by URSI (International Union on Radio Science) and that the GRAPE CO (Giorgiana De Franceschi) has been appointed as the URSI delegate 2014-2017 at SCAR. This is a success of GRAPE as a whole that will support more ambitious initiatives in the field of radio science and polar science.